Every Thanksgiving feast needs something sweet as the finale. In addition to serving the traditional pies, make a variety of Thanksgiving cakes as part of the dessert table. There's no such thing as too much dessert, but if there are leftovers, simply freeze and serve at the next holiday celebration! Ask friends and family for their favorite Thanksgiving cake recipes and get the dessert party started.
Find inspiration in these Thanksgiving cake ideas:
- Commission a local bakery to make a Thanksgiving cake for your celebration. They can customize the type to fit the season. Try a pumpkin or cranberry flavored cake!
- Make a simple vanilla cake and frost with your favorite frosting. Decorate with dried cranberries, shaved chocolate, and sprigs of mint.
- Bake a carrot cake! It's a perennial favorite and fits the season.
- For Thanksgiving cake decorating ideas, top a cake with edible chocolate pinecones, leaves, or a turkey. The simpler, the better!
If you're in the mood to make everything yourself, try a new Thanksgiving cake recipe with a traditional gingerbread flavor:
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup hot water
- Whipped cream as frosting (optional)
Heat oven to 325 degrees and grease/flour a square pan. Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir together the butter, brown sugar, molasses, egg, and water separately. Add this to dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer on medium for a minute. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40 minutes. Serve with whipped cream or fresh fruit.
As a special twist on a more traditional cake, and serve a variety of flavored Thanksgiving cake pops. Most bakeries and specialty cafes make them to order, so ask for an assortment of flavors in different colors and toppings.
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now