What to Write in a Valentine's Day Card
Learn how to write the perfect valentine! Valentine’s Day is the ultimate holiday for showing your love and affection, or your friendship and appreciation, but expressing your true feelings can be daunting. Below are a few tips and valentines examples to help you write something that your friend or loved one will cherish.
The 3 Parts of a Perfect Valentine's Greeting:
When you are trying to impress someone special with a Valentine's Greeting, there are generally 3 parts to consider. Once you master them, you'll be a Valentine's pro in no time:
- Opening or Greeting: Begin your greeting with a flourish! Address your card to your Valentine and pay him or her a compliment. Incorporate complementary adjectives to describe your Valentine as you write your greeting—lovely, gorgeous, beautiful, handsome, wonderful, perfect, charming, considerate, precious, thoughtful, treasured, joyous.
- Heartfelt Message: The body of your Valentine's greeting should, quite simply, speak from the heart. It may be as simple as the classic “Be Mine, Valentine!” or “Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet and so are you!” or something more sincere and heartfelt, like "I don't know what I would do without you". You can't get this one wrong, as long as you say what you feel.
- Sincere Closing: Valentine's greetings are never complete without a thoughtful closing. Choose the appropriate sign-off, like "All my love", "Affectionately", "Hugs & Kisses", or even "Cheers!". And don't forget to sign your greeting to say who it's from.
There's an easy way to start creating the perfect Valentine's Greeting: Choose a beautiful free eCard for Valentine’s Day. Depending on which design you choose, some of the wording may already be included!
What to Write in a Valentine for Your Boyfriend or Husband:
Start with a Valentine's Day eCard from our collection for him:
These cards include loving adjectives for you. You just have to add a greeting inside and a closing! Here are a few examples to get you started, but don't forget to make them your own and speak from the heart:
- I'm thankful for every moment that I spend with you. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me and I only hope that I can make you as happy as you’ve made me. Happy Valentine’s Day, my love.
- You are the kindest, most thoughtful person that I have ever known. I love everything about you and I am so happy that you’re in my life. Thank you for being you. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Happy Valentine’s Day! I want you to know how much I love you, and how much you’ve changed my life for the better. You bring me joy and laughter and more happiness than I ever could have hoped for.
- “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” (Emily Brontë)
What to Write in a Valentine for Your Girlfriend or Wife:
Ready to craft the perfect Valentine for the special woman in your life? Here are a couple of thoughtful eCards for her that you can start with:
When you're crafting the message inside, you don't have to be Shakespeare, you just have to say something meaningful to both of you:
- How did I get so lucky? You're the best girlfriend ever. Looking forward to some amazing adventures ahead.
- I am so lucky I found you. I can't imagine life without you and our amazing children!
- Thank you for everything you do to make our lives better. You're the best.
If you're still struggling, you can resort to a famous quote - including one from Mr. Shakespeare himself:
- “You are the butter to my bread, the breath to my life.” (Julie & Julia)
- “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...” (Elizabeth Barrett Browning)
- “All you need is love.” (John Lennon)
- “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.” (William Shakespeare)
What to Write in a Valentine for Mom:
Most moms will really appreciate you including them in your Valentine's Day greetings. They do everything for us and rarely ask for anything in return. So keep your Mom in mind this Valentine's Day! Here are a couple of eCards that Mom might appreciate:
When it comes to writing a message to Mom, let her know just how much she means to you!
- If I could choose from all the moms in the world, I'd still choose you!
- Momma, I'd be nothing without you. Thank you so much for everything you do.
- We are so grateful to have such a loving Mom, and the kids are incredibly blessed to have you as their Grandma.
- "When you look into your mother's eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth."
- Mitch Albom
What to Write in a Valentine for a Friend:
Think back to when you were a little child, writing Valentines for your classmates. When we begin celebrating Valentine's Day, its usually to give our best friends in school these fun greetings. Here are some suggestions for Valentines your friends will love:
When you're crafting the message inside a valentine to your friends, you can say pretty much anything that you'd say to them in person:
- You're the best friend I could ever ask for. Thanks for being there for me, always.
- You sure are lucky to have a bestie as awesome as me! :)
- Boyfriends may come and go, but I will always be there for you my dear friend!
- "A friend is someone who knows everything about you and still loves you." - Elbert Hubbard
What to Write in a Valentine for a Teacher or Coworker:
Don't forget - Valentine's Day can also be an opportunity to just tell someone that you appreciate them. Some workplaces shy away from any celebration of Valentine's Day, but that doesn't mean that you can't recognize your work friend (or work "spouse"). And don't forget about the teachers who make a difference in your children's lives. Send them a Valentine's greeting, too!
Here are some messages that you can share with your colleagues or teachers:
- Thank you for helping this job seem less like work! You're the best work hubby.
- Your laughter is infectious. Thanks for making work fun!
- Thank you for everything you do for [child]. We appreciate you!
- "Teachers have three loves: love of learning, love of learners, and the love of bringing the first two loves together."–Scott Hayden
We make it easy to send Valentine's eCards to all of the special people in your life. Browse our collection. Customize the messages according to our 3-step process, and send them instantly by email or text!
Love this article?
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now