Tips for a Green Christmas
During the holiday season, it is important to show extra care for the environment, so consider having a green Christmas this year. With just a little effort and imagination, you can reduce the environmental impact of the holiday season and care for the earth.
Here are some tips on how to have a green Christmas:
- Christmas Trees: Consider purchasing an artificial tree that you can reuse for years to come. You can also, however, still enjoy the smell of fresh pine needles if you are sure to dispose of it in an eco-friendly way at the end of the holiday season. Replant your tree or if that is not possible, compost or mulch your tree rather than leaving it out with the trash.
- Decorations: There are many great green Christmas ideas for decorating. First, you can use LED lights, which run on about a tenth of the energy of conventional lights and also have a much lower fire risk since they don’t produce heat. Turn tree lights and outdoor decorative lighting off at bedtime, after everyone has gone to sleep. Try decorating the rest of your house using natural products such as pine cones, cinnamon sticks, berries, and poinsettias. They are all signs that the Christmas season is upon us and are a recyclable way of adorning your home.
- Gift Ideas: Reduce your holiday spending and think about these green Christmas gift ideas. Homemade and handmade presents are thoughtful and show that you spent time thinking about the recipient personally. You can also give a charitable donation in someone’s name or plant a tree for them through online nursery programs.
- Wrapping Presents: Skip the paper and choose an alternative green Christmas wrapping. Reuse old gift bags or make your own wrapping out of old comic strips, maps, calendars, and posters. If you have fabric scraps lying around the house, those can also be used in place of paper.
- Holiday Cards: Two green Christmas tips are to send both your holiday party invitations and holiday greeting cards online. Holiday eCards are cost-efficient, time-efficient, and eco-friendly! Check out Punchbowl’s selection of holiday eCard designs.
Use these tips to make your Christmas a little greener. You’ll feel great about your contribution towards helping the environment and the earth will thank you too! Kickoff your own holiday celebration with this beautiful, free Christmas party invitation.
Sign up and we'll send more inspiration straight to you.Sign up now